The Family; A Proclamation to the World

The Family; A Proclamation to the World

The Rock Upon Which We Are Built

Family: People may think of it as something more along the lines of a thought or ideal. The Beaver Cleaver family vs. the Adams family. Opposite ends of the family spectrum, but they all have one thing in common that all families have in common no matter what and that is the foundation on which we build upon.

This document called "The Family: A Proclamation To The World" is what I will be building this blog upon because I believe that if each individual of a family and the family as a unit build upon this foundation it Will Not Fall.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Not Tarnished!

     Ok, I'm going to be totally honest with you guys, this is my first blog and I really don't know what I'm doing yet, but what I do know is that I have a definite opinion about the family. We always talk about "the family" like it's more of an object then a unit, but I actually want to take a look at it at that angle for a second. 
     I do want to say first that I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and I will be quoting many members of my faith such as the document at the top of my blog titled, "The Family: A Proclamation To The World."  But I will also quote those not of my faith as well. 
     Having said that, I would like to share a quote from F. Burton Howard who is a member of the Quorum of the 70 meaning he is one of the leaders in the LDS church. Concerning marriage he said, "If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You never about it. You don't expose it to the elements. You don't make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by." 
     I love this comparison to marriage. Too often in today's society we see marriage as something cheep and easily disposable. But the family is too precious of a unit to become so belittled and so tarnished with these labels. Instead we need to change our view point. Let's start to look at the family as something worthy of fighting for.





No comments:

Post a Comment